- Take responsibility for all equipment such as endoscopy monitors, Dinamaps, suction apparatus, diathermy machines, light source, and photographic printer, and ensure that suction lines, water bottles, and tubing are attached to suction machines.
- Ensure the updating of the endoscopy register and ensure the endoscopy list is checked with PIMS and the correct patient details are entered into the endoscopy machine.
- Be familiar with stock management while at all times maintaining adequate stock levels to meet daily requirements.
- Ensure the patient is attached to the monitoring equipment and oxygen and is placed in the correct position.
- To assist the consultant with drug preparation and any checks necessary.
- To assist with biopsies, thus ensuring patients stays in the correct position and observing airway and vital signs.
- Check biopsy specimens and laboratory forms with another nurse ensuring the correct patient details are filled.
- Ensure that when a procedure is completed, all the relevant documentation is completed by the consultant, anaesthetist, and nurse. On completion, the patient is then transferred back to the day surgery ward accompanied by a nurse and hospital attendant.
- To follow the policy regarding the processing and cleaning of scopes.
- To ensure that there is an accurate recording of start and finish times for each procedure is recorded on the PIMS system.
- Ensure the medication management policy is adhered to by all staff regarding DDA’s.
- Be a Registered General Nurse with the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Ireland (NMBI).
- Previous endoscopy qualification is desirable.
- At least one year’s post registration experience is essential.
- Evidence of ongoing CPD.