- Set the technology direction and technical roadmap for the use of our client’s partners with other IT and business stakeholders to understand the capabilities required, and then work with the business unit development teams to design and implement appropriate solutions
- Ensure solution designs and architectures are functional, elegant and robust – work with business unit teams to gain agreement and consensus around how to use the technology to solve the agreed business problems
- Work alongside and with business unit team members to implement the agreed designs and resolve complex problems – in large parts, this is a hands-on, individual contributor role
- Act as a recognised subject matter expert on this technology and the problem domain
- Be the final technical decision maker, and enforce the decisions that you make
- Provide thought leadership around how technology can be deployed in new and innovative ways to provide a source of competitive advantage to Marsh
- Be a leader by example – coach, develop and support team members in problem solving and solution delivery. including getting into the code on a regular basis and demonstrate best practice coding.
- Ensure high levels of automation and quality in delivery – drive the adoption of a DevOps culture and shift-left mindset amongst the teams
- Work with other technology groups and stakeholders across MMC Tech to ensure alignment with company wide tooling, standards and processes
What you need to have:
- An expert in Node.js with a history of using Java/Spring Framework.
- Extensive and deep experience of application development and software engineering in a range of technology stacks.
- An ability and willingness to learn.
- Experience of modern application architectures, and in development environments and cultures focused on achieving a very high degree of re-use.
- An ability to work in a complex matrix and distributed environment, with teams across the world, and to achieve results where you don’t necessarily have direct or hierarchical authority.
- A broad and deep range of experience in the tech industry; across technologies and business problems.
- Good knowledge across a range of modern technology tools, languages and processes. For reference, the core technologies, tools and methods we use on these apps include:
- Node.js/TypeScript and complimentary frameworks/tooling such as Nest.js or Express.js.
- Java 1.8 +; Spring framework/Spring boot
- ORM / Hibernate; MongoDB / PostgreSQL / Oracle
- TDD (Jest, Junit, Mockito, Jasmine, Karma); BDD (Cucumber); Selenium, Cypress
- Nexus; Docker; Kubernetes;
- Experience moving from VM Architectures
- But your attitude and general experience are more important to us than knowledge of specific technologies.
- Experience of software development methods including Agile, Scrum, Kanban, CI/CD
- Agile/incremental mindset for system design